Hi Eduardo,

1. "Why sometimes the applications prefer to connect to zookeeper instead
brokers?"

I assume you are talking about the clients and some of our tools?
These are parts of an older design and we are actively working on fixing
this. The consumer used Zookeeper to store offsets, in 0.8.2 there's an
option to use Kafka itself for that (by setting *offsets.storage = kafka*).
We are planning on fixing the tools in 0.9, but obviously they are less
performance sensitive than the consumers.

2. Regarding your tests and disk usage - I'm not sure exactly what fills
your disk - if its the kafka transaction logs (i.e. log.dir), then we
expect to store the size of all messages sent times the replication faction
configured for each topic. We keep messages for the amount of time
specified in *log.retention* parameters. If the disk is filled within
minutes, either set log.retention.minutes very low (at risk of losing data
if consumers need restart), or make sure your disk capacity matches the
rates in which producers send data.

Gwen

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Eduardo Costa Alfaia <e.costaalf...@unibs.it