You may need to look into the consumer metrics and producer metrics to
identify the root cause. metrics in kafka.consumer and kafka.producer
categories will help you find out the problems.

This link gives instruction how to read the metrics
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#monitoring

--
Regards,
Tao