From: Dave Hamilton [dhamil...@nanigans.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:58 AM
To: users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Unclaimed partitions

Hi, I am trying to consume a 24-partition topic across 12 processes. Each
process is using the simple consumer API, and each is being assigned two
consumer threads. I have noticed when starting these processes that sometimes
some of my processes are not being assigned any partitions, and no rebalance
seems to ever be triggered, leaving some of the partitions unclaimed.

When I first tried deploying this yesterday, I noticed 8 of the 24 partitions,
for 4 of the consumer processes, went unclaimed. Redeploying shortly later
corrected this issue. I tried deploying again today, and now I see a different
set of 4 processes not getting assigned partitions. The processes otherwise
appear to be running normally, they are currently running in production and we
are working to get the consumers quietly running before enabling them to do any
work. I’m not sure if we might be looking at some sort of timing issue.

Does anyone know what might be causing the issues we’re observing?

Thanks,
Dave