At my current client they are on Kafka 0.8.2.2 and were looking at
upgrading to 0.9 for bug fixes mostly.  The new consumer is also enticing
but it has been said it's still "beta" quality which is a hard sell.

I'm considering recommending to wait for 0.10 in hopes that the new
consumer will be considered production ready.  Plus the timestamp feature,
rack awareness and kafka-streams all look like something that would be very
useful.

The release page says Q2 of this year, is it still on track for that?  Do
you recommend skipping 0.9 and going straight to 0.10?

I ask this because upgrading our clusters is something taken very seriously
due to how central Kafka is in the system and it comes with a lot of
scrutiny.

thanks for any input,
John