I found this
thread<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-users/201602.mbox/%3ccacyxnod_zzjstv0xuu_totrtsc5p+zahi_9yegoev8mh3da...@mail.gmail.com%3E>
 and see that poll() must be called before seek().

This seems unintuitive and the error message ("No current assignment for
partition partitionName") is not very helpful.

Why wouldn't subscribe take care of partition assignments and leave it to the
first call of poll()?  Alternately, if someone feels strongly about keeping
assignments tied to the poll() method, could we just append something on to the
error message to something like: "No current assignment for partition
partitionName.  If you called seek() you must call poll() first".

I can see this being confusing for others, especially if they are designing
something that needs to start processing at the end or somewhere in between.

Mario Ricci