Hello,

I'm experiencing the usage of Kafka with Kubernetes and I don't understand the
reason of the following behavior.

Starting with a pod with zookeeper and a pod with a kafka server (id = 1001).
Create a topic named "test" ... producer and consumer can send/receive message
without problems.
I turn off the pod with kafka server and Kubernetes restarts another pod with a
new kafka server (id = 1002).
Now ... I know that the topic "test" is lost because the related log was in the
previous kafka server (id = 1001).
Anyway, the zookeeper server still have information about topic "test" and if I
use "describe" command it says me that the leader is still the 1001 server !!

I tried the script for reassign replicas and the preferred replica election :
now zookeeper shows me that the 1002 server is in the replicas list but the
leader is still the 1001 and the only one in the ISR list.
Why zookeeper doesn't know that kafka server 1001 is dead ??

Thanks,
Paolo.

Paolo PatiernoSenior Software Engineer (IoT) @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoTMicrosoft Azure Advisor
Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience