Hi there,

Firstly, I'd recommend not running the consumers and the brokers on the
same machine. Are you running multiple brokers? If not, that'd be my first
recommendation (it sounds like you might not be).

Secondly, yes, consumers scale up with partitions. At most you can have the
same number of consumers as partitions (but each consumer can have multiple
partitions).

That error message seems pretty bad - it sounds like the broker is falling
over repeatedly. I'd check the broker logs and metrics (see
http://docs.confluent.io/2.0.1/kafka/monitoring.html).

Thanks

Tom Crayford
Heroku Kafka