Thank you for your reply. I am running tests using a simple application
with one broker. That is why I am running everything on a single machine.
For the scalability, my application's throughput scales by more than 2x
going from 1 consumer/partition to 2 consumers/partitions which is great.
However, going from 2 to 4 consumers/partitions the scalability diminishes
to 1.3x. I am monitoring the resources of the machine (memory,disk,cpu) and
didn't see any bottleneck forming. My application is very simple. I assign
each consumer to a specific partition. I have a single producer that
produces logs to all my partitions evenly before I start the consumers. My
consumers  retrieves logs one by one and print them to terminal. After
processing each record, I seek the offset of the partition to the offset of
the processed record+1 for the following poll request. I am aware that I
don't need a poll request for each record. but I am doing that as part of
my tests.

--
Best Regards,
Yazeed Alabdulkarim