1) Can the ACLs be specified statically in a config file of sorts? Or is
bin/kafka-acl.sh or a similar kafka client API the only way to specify
the
ACLs?

kafka-acls.sh executes simpleAClAuthorizer and the only way it accepts
acls is via command-line params.

2) I notice that bin/kafka-acl.sh takes an argument to specify
zookeeper,
but doesn't seem to have a mechanism to specify any other authentication
constructs. Does that mean anyone can point to my zookeeper instance and
add/remove the ACLs?

simpleAClAuthorizer uses zookeeper as ACL storage.  Remember in kerberos
secure mode we highly recommend to turn on zookeeper.set.acl . This will
put "sasl:principal_name" acls on zookeeper nodes. Here principal_name
is the broker's principal.
So one has to login with that principal name to make changes to any of
the zookeeper nodes.
Only the users who has access to the broker's keytab can modify
zookeeper nodes.

3) I'd like to use SSL certificates for Authentication and ACLs, but
don't
wont to use encryption over the wire because of latency concerns
mentioned
here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-2561
Is that supported? Any instructions?

openSSL is not supported yet.  Also dropping the encryption in SSL
channel is not possible yet.
Any reason for not use kerberos for this since we support non-encrypted
channel for kerberos.

Thanks,
harsha