Hi Grant,

Comments below.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Grant Henke <ghe...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Would it make sense to drop Java 1.7 and Scala 2.10 support in Kafka 0.11
> to maintain upgrade compatibility throughout the 0.10.x series?

The issue is that we don't know when Kafka 0.11 will be released. Also, I
think it would be better not to bump the `major` version just for this
change (if we have to do it for some other reason, then that's even
better). The reason is that your code will work without change, you just
have to make sure you have the right environment. And many (most?) already
do. For what it's worth, this is the same approach Akka took with their
2.4.0 release (the first to require Java 8).

I would prefer to have the discussion about Scala 2.10 separately. Maybe
when the 2.12 release is nearer.

As a side note, I personally like the pattern of always supporting 2 java
> and 2 Scala versions for any given release because it give the user a way
> to upgrade one or the other independently. This creates a relatively
> "static" testing matrix as well.

That is my preference as well. I am raising this sooner this time because
of what I consider exceptional conditions. The long period between Java 7
and 8 combined with the delay of Java 9 means that Java 7 has been EOL'd
for 14 months and we are only starting the 0.10.1.0 cycle. And Java 8 has
some high-impact features for Kafka Streams (it is possible to support
lambdas by having our own SAMs, but this is painful for a number of
reasons).

Ismael