On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 08:13:52PM +0200, Ismael Juma wrote:
> Hi Harsha,
>
> Comments below.
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Harsha <ka...@harsha.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ismael,
> >         "Are you saying that you are aware of many Kafka users still
> >         using Java 7
> > > who would be ready to upgrade to the next Kafka feature release (whatever
> > > that version number is) before they can upgrade to Java 8?"
> > I know there quite few users who are still on java 7
>

> This is good to know.
>

> > and regarding the
> > upgrade we can't say Yes or no.  Its upto the user discretion when they
> > choose to upgrade and ofcourse if there are any critical fixes that
> > might go into the release.  We shouldn't be restricting their upgrade
> > path just because we removed Java 7 support.

I agree with this as well - I've actually seen performance degredation
in some use-cases with Java8 vs Java7 on both CentOS and FreeBSD.

IMHO - removing support for JRE7 as part of a minor release would be
very disruptive and I would personally prefer to see this happen as part
of a major release (0.11 for example).

Cheers,
-pete

--