It isn't a fatal error. It should be logged as a warning, and then the
stream should be continued w/ the next message.

Checking for null is 'ok', in the sense that it gets the job done, but
after java 8's release, we really should be using optionals.

Hopefully we can break compatibility w/ the bad old days soon and move into
the future.

(If there's a way to do the null check automatically, i.e before calling
the lambda, please let me know).