Big is a relative term.

And the question you ask is quite difficult to answer because not other
information is available - including the configuration of the Kafka cluster,
hardware specification etcetera.

I suggest the following: (1) read a couple of benchmarks such as [1], (2)
investigate onto this question of matter yourself by designing and running a
microbenchmark - since you’re the only one who knows what throughput or for
example latency you’d like to achieve.

But in general, I do believe that those messages are larger then the expected.
Hence, you may also want to take a look at compression in Kafka - although
you’ll lose performance.

[1]
https://engineering.linkedin.com/kafka/benchmarking-apache-kafka-2-million-writes-second-three-cheap-machines