No sure.

How big is your state? On rebalance, state stores might move from one
machine to another. To recreate the store on the new machine the
underlying changelog topic must be read. This can take some time -- an
hour seems quite long though...

To avoid long state recreation periods Kafka Streams support standby
task. Try to enable those via StreamsConfig: "num.standby.replicas"

http://docs.confluent.io/current/streams/developer-guide.html#optional-configuration-parameters

Also check out this section of the docs:

http://docs.confluent.io/3.1.1/streams/architecture.html#fault-tolerance

-Matthias