Dear Kafka Users,

What are the arguments against setting the retention plociy on a Kafka
topic to infinite? I was in an interesting discussion with one of my
colleagues where he was suggesting to set the retention policy for a topic
to be indefinite.

So how does this play up when adding new broker partitions? Say, I have
accumulated in my topic some gigabytes of data and now I realize that I
have to scale up by adding another partition. Now is this going to pose me
a problem? The partition rebalance has to happen and I'm not sure what the
implications are with rebalancing a partition that has gigabytes of data.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks and Regards,
Jothi