> On Apr 7, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Gwen Shapira <g...@confluent.io> wrote:
>
> Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,
>
> This is the first candidate for the release of Apache Kafka 0.10.2.1. This
> is a bug fix release and it includes fixes and improvements from 24 JIRAs
> (including a few critical bugs). See the release notes for more details:

Hi Gwen,

I downloaded and tested the RC with a small Kafka Streams app and the upgrade
seems to have gone smoothly.  (I did not upgrade any brokers though).

One question about the RC process -- currently it seems that the RC is uploaded
to a staging repo with the final release version.

Would it not be easier for the community if instead the RC is uploaded to the
main repo with a "-rc" version?

Currently, you have to convince Maven to get "0.10.2.1" from the staging repo,
and then when the final version hits Maven would never update in case there were
any post-RC changes.

Additionally, if there are further RCs, it is quite easy to confuse yourself
and not be sure exactly which RC jar you are running at any given time, and the
problem compounds itself when multiple developers or build boxes are involved.

Many other projects instead would create a "0.10.2.1-rc0" version and publish
that to the normal Maven Central -- that way it is publicly downloadable and
strongly tagged / versioned as the RC.

Has the Kafka project given any thought to this sort of a proposal?
As a tester / outside user it would make the process a little easier.

Either way, excited for the 0.10.2.1 release, and thanks for all the work!