You should plan this ahead and make sure that your topic partition and
replication factors are updated correctly using kafka topics admin or a
batch job setup for Kafka Mirror Maker. Apache wiki explains how Mirror
maker can guarantee a failsafe mirroring. I cannot quite remember how deep
the mirroring goes e.g. Consumer offsets etc. But my understanding is that
it should do it correctly.

Regards,