Any thoughts on the below will be appreciated. Thanks.

On 9/13/17, 5:00 PM, "Revin Chalil" <rcha...@expedia.com> wrote:

    We are testing kafka’s performance with the real prod data and plan to test
things like the below. We would have producers publishing and consumers
processing production data on a separate non-prod kafka cluster.

      *   Impact of number of Partitions per Topic on throughput and latency on
Producer & Consumer
      *   Impact of scaling-up Brokers on throughput and latency
      *   adding more brokers Vs adding more Disk on existing Brokers. How does
the network interface usage differ?
      *   cost of Replication on Throughput and Latency
      *   impact of Broker vm.swappiness = 60 Vs vm.swappiness = 1
      *   partitions on a Broker pointing to single Disk Vs multiple Disks
      *   EXT4 Vs XFS Filesystem on broker
      *   behavior when Broker “num.io<http://num.io/>.threads” is increased
from 8 to higher value
      *   behavior when Broker “num.network.threads” is increased from 3  to
higher value
      *   behavior when the data segment size is increased from 1 GB (current
setting)
      *   producer “acks = 1” Vs “acks = all” (current setting) impact on
throughput and latency
      *   producer sending with Compression enabled (snappy?) Vs sending
without Compression
      *   setting producer batch-size (memory based) Vs record-count (current
setting) per batch sent to Kafka
      *   impact of message size throughput
      *   Consumers fetching records from page-cache Vs fetching records from
Disk

    Ideally, the metrics we would like to compare for each test are (please let
know if there are anything else to be compared)

      *   Producer write Throughput
      *   Producer write Latency (ms)
      *   Consumption Throughput
      *   Consumption Latency (ms)
      *   End-to-end Latency

    What would be the right tools to collect and compare the above metrics
against different Tests? I have setup kafka-monitor but couldn’t find how to
track the throughput and latency. Kafka-web-console seems to have some of these
available? Kafka-Manager? Burrow? Anything else? Thank you.

    Since we are going to use our own producers and consumers, I do not think
it makes sense to use tools like kafka-consumer-perf-test.sh or
kafka-producer-perf-test.sh, but please correct if I am wrong.

    Thanks,
    Revin