Hi all,

we several time faced situation where consumer-group started to re-consume
old events from beginning. Here is scenario:

1. x3 broker kafka cluster on top of x3 node zookeeper
2. RF=3 for all topics
3. log.retention.hours=168 and offsets.retention.minutes=20160
4. running sustainable load (pushing events)
5. doing disaster testing by randomly shutting down 1 of 3 broker nodes
(then provision new broker back)

Several times after bouncing broker we faced situation where consumer group
started to re-consume old events.

consumer group:

1. enable.auto.commit = false
2. tried graceful group shutdown, kill -9 and terminating AWS nodes
3. never experienced re-consumption for given cases.

What can cause that old events re-consumption? Is it related to bouncing
one of brokers? What to search in a logs? Any broker settings to try?

Thanks in advance.