All the data log files for a given topic-partition are stored under a
topic-partition directory in a particular data.dir.
So a topic-partition directory can grow up to the capacity of the log.dir
director. And there can be multiple
topic-partition directories in a data.dir. It depends topic-partitions
retention size and the disk capacity.

After JBOD improvements (KAFKA-4763) and with multiple disks, broker will
continue to work even after disk failures.