Hi

the only retention time that applies for compacted topics is the delete.retention.ms The duration that tombstones for deletes will be kept in the topic during compaction.

A very detail explaination on what is going on can be found here:

https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#compaction

Hope this helps

Best Jan