Matthias, you read my mind—having examined Kafka Streams intermediate topic
configs and then Googled my way to KIP-71
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-71%3A+Enable+log+compaction+and+deletion+to+co-exist>,
I was confused about this dual policy. Thank you.

Still wondering about my second question though: does deletion/compaction
affect the currently opened log segment? Seems like it cannot.