In general offsets should be consecutive. However, this is no "official
guarantee" and you should not build application that rely on consecutive
offsets.

Also note, with Kafka 0.11 and transactions, commit/abort markers
require on offset in the partitions and thus, having "offset gaps" is
normal for this case.

Not sure atm, why you have a "offset gap" as your 0.9 log format does
not support transactions.

-Matthias