Hello Justin,

There are actually multi reasons that can cause incontinuous offsets, or
"holes" in the Kafka partition logs:

1. compaction, you knew it already.
2. when transactions are turned on, then some offsets are actually taken by
the "transaction marker" messages, which will not be exposed by the
consumer since they are only used internally. So from the reader's pov
there are holes in the offsets.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang