I'm quite sure it's per broker (it's a standard way to provide
recommendation on node sizes in systems like Kafka), but you should
definitely read it in the context of the data size and traffic the cluster
has to handle. I didn't read the presentation, so not sure if it contains
such information (if it doesn't, maybe the video does?), but this context
is necessary to size Kafka properly (that includes const efficiency). To
put that in context: I've been running small Kafka cluster on AWS'
m4.xlarge instances in the past with no issues (low number of terabytes
stored in total, low single-digit thousands of messages produced per second
in peak) - I actually think it was oversized for that use case.