Hello everyone,

We are running a 3 broker Kafka 0.10.0.1 cluster. We have a java app which
spawns many consumer threads consuming from different topics. For every
topic we have specified different consumer-group. A lot of times I see that
whenever this application is restarted a CG on one or two topics takes more
than 5 minutes to receive partition assignment. Till that time consumers
for that topic don't consumer anything. If I go to Kafka broker and run
consumer-groups.sh and describe that particular CG I see that it is
rebalancing. There is time critical data stored in that topic and we cannot
tolerate such long delays. What can be the reason for such long rebalances.

Here's our consumer config

auto.commit.interval.ms = 3000
auto.offset.reset = latest
bootstrap.servers = [x.x.x.x:9092, x.x.x.x:9092, x.x.x.x:9092]
check.crcs = true
client.id =
connections.max.idle.ms = 540000
enable.auto.commit = true
exclude.internal.topics = true
fetch.max.bytes = 52428800
fetch.max.wait.ms = 500
fetch.min.bytes = 1
group.id = otp-notifications-consumer
heartbeat.interval.ms = 3000
interceptor.classes = null
key.deserializer = class
org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.StringDeserializer
max.partition.fetch.bytes = 1048576
max.poll.interval.ms = 300000
max.poll.records = 50
metadata.max.age.ms = 300000
metric.reporters = []
metrics.num.samples = 2
metrics.sample.window.ms = 30000
partition.assignment.strategy = [class
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.RangeAssignor]
receive.buffer.bytes = 65536
reconnect.backoff.ms = 50
request.timeout.ms = 305000
retry.backoff.ms = 100
sasl.kerberos.kinit.cmd = /usr/bin/kinit
sasl.kerberos.min.time.before.relogin = 60000
sasl.kerberos.service.name = null
sasl.kerberos.ticket.renew.jitter = 0.05
sasl.kerberos.ticket.renew.window.factor = 0.8
sasl.mechanism = GSSAPI
security.protocol = SSL
send.buffer.bytes = 131072
session.timeout.ms = 300000
ssl.cipher.suites = null
ssl.enabled.protocols = [TLSv1.2, TLSv1.1, TLSv1]
ssl.endpoint.identification.algorithm = null
ssl.key.password = null
ssl.keymanager.algorithm = SunX509
ssl.keystore.location = null
ssl.keystore.password = null
ssl.keystore.type = JKS
ssl.protocol = TLS
ssl.provider = null
ssl.secure.random.implementation = null
ssl.trustmanager.algorithm = PKIX
ssl.truststore.location = /x/x/client.truststore.jks
ssl.truststore.password = [hidden]
ssl.truststore.type = JKS
value.deserializer = class
org.apache.kafka.common.serialization.StringDeserializer

Please help.

*Thanks & Regards,*
*Shantanu Deshmukh*