Yes data will be lost when you use instance storage. But keeping the *same*
broker id will allow the new broker instance to easily replicate data from
other brokers, therefore restoring back to the previous fully replicated
state.

Srinivas, do your topics have replicator factor > 1? If yes, data can be
recovered from other brokers.