Its not just the config, you need to change your code.

kafka.auto.commit.interval.ms=3000 means that consumers only commit offsets
every 3 seconds so if there is any failure or rebalance they will reconsume up
to 3 seconds of  data per partition. That could be many hundreds or thousands
of messages.

I would recommend you not use auto commit at all and instead manually commit
offsets immediately after sending each email or batch of emails.

-hans