Testing on staging shows that a restart on exception is much faster and the
stream starts right away which I think means we're reading way less data
than before!

What I was referring to is that, in Streams, the keys for window
> aggregation state is actually composed of both the window itself and the
> key. In the DSL, it looks like "Windowed<K>". That results in the store
> having a unique key per window for each K, which is why we need retention
> as well as compaction for our changelogs. But for you, if you just make the
> key "K", then compaction alone should do the trick.

Yes we had compact,delete as cleanup policy but probably it still had a too
long retention value, also the rocksdb store is probably much faster now
having only one key per key instead of one key per window per key.

Thanks a lot for helping! I'm now going to setup a prometheus-jmx
monitoring so we can keep better track of what's going on :)

--
Alessandro Tagliapietra