Seems my journey with this isn't done just yet,

This seems very complicated to me but I'll try to explain it as best I can.
To better understand the streams network usage I've used prometheus with
the JMX exporter to export kafka metrics.
To check the amount of data we use I'm looking at the increments
of kafka_producer_topic_metrics_byte_total and
kafka_producer_producer_topic_metrics_record_send_total,

Our current (before the change mentioned above) code looks like this:

// This transformers just pairs a value with the previous one storing the
temporary one in a store
val pairsStream = metricStream
  .transformValues(ValueTransformerWithKeySupplier { PairTransformer() },
"LastValueStore")
  .filter { _, value: MetricSequence? -> value != null }

// Create a store to store suppressed windows until a new one is received
val suppressStoreSupplier =
Stores.keyValueStoreBuilder(Stores.persistentKeyValueStore("suppress-store"),

// Window and aggregate data in 1 minute intervals
val aggregatedStream = pairsStream
  .groupByKey()
  .windowedBy<TimeWindow>(TimeWindows.of(Duration.ofMinutes(1)))
  .aggregate(
          { MetricSequenceList(ArrayList()) },
          { key, value, aggregate ->
              aggregate.getRecords().add(value)
              aggregate
          },
          Materialized.`as`<String, MetricSequenceList, WindowStore<Bytes,
ByteArray>>("aggregate-store").withKeySerde(Serdes.String()).withValueSerde(Settings.getValueSpecificavroSerde())
  )
  .toStream()
  .flatTransform(TransformerSupplier {
      // This transformer basically waits until a new window is received to
emit the previous one
  }, "suppress-store")
  .map { sensorId: String, suppressedOutput: SuppressedOutput ->
      .... etc ....

Basically:
 - all data goes through LastValueStore store that stores each message and
emits a pair with the previous one
 - the aggregate-store is used to store the per-window list of messages in
the aggregate method
 - the suppress store is used to store each received window which is
emitted only after a newer one is received

What I'm experiencing is that:
 - during normal execution, the streams app sends to the lastvalue store
changelog topic 5k messages/min, the aggregate and suppress store changelog
topics only about 100
 - at some point (after many hours of operation), the streams app starts
sending to the aggregate and suppress store changelog topic the same amount
of messages going through the lastvaluestore
 - if I restart the streams app it goes back to the initial behavior

You can see the behavior in this graph https://imgur.com/dJcUNSf
You can also see that after a restart everything goes back to normal levels.
Regarding other metrics, process latency increases, poll latency decreases,
poll rate decreases, commit rate stays the same while commit latency
increases.

Now, I've these questions:
 - why isn't the aggregate/suppress store changelog topic throughput the
same as the LastValueStore? Shouldn't every time it aggregates send a
record to the changelog?
 - is the windowing doing some internal caching like not sending every
aggregation record until the window time is passed? (if so, where can I
find that code since I would like to use that also for our new
implementation)

Thank you in advance

--
Alessandro Tagliapietra