The effect for producers isn’t very significant once your topic partition count
exceeds your broker count. For consumers — especially if you are using consumer
groups — the more partitions you have, the more consumer instances you can have
in a single consumer group. (The maximum number of active consumers in a
consumer group = the total number of topic partitions assigned to the group.)

As long as you are not exceeding the broker’s network and disk IO, your total
consumer throughput goes up with more partitions. Additional network and disk
IO are a benefit of additional brokers.

--
Peter