Hi,
I am now in the process of deciding partitions and replicas for my cluster.
I am making use of perf test utilities and it really helps a lot.
Just measure perf by creating multiple topics with same number of recodrs
with diff partitions and replicas.
Then compare the througput and also look at latency.
If possible change network and io threads at broker level and then again do
perf testing for above scenarios.

Thanks,
Sunil