sachin lamsoge wrote:

> hi all,
>
>         i am looking for something which can be used to as a
> link between GSM and IP. and have been thinking of
> using SMS or WAP gateways for this. Is kannel the
> right choice for me?
>
> i had some basic doubts about kannel.
>
> can kannel be used as a commercial gateway?

I hope so, cause we use it. ;-)

> I dont want a fully implemented WAP and SMS gateway
> for my application, i just want a link between GSM and
> IP.

Can you be more specific ?

> if i want to test kannel to act as a commercial SMS
> and WAP gateway what all things do i need. like there
> is something mentioned about SMS centres ( i don't
> have much fundaes about how SMS works). Infact the
> basic doubt is how do i get a wireless connectivety to
> my PC running kannel gateway ( to make it act as an
> SMS or WAP gateway)

Kannel requires an SMS center for sending and receiving
SMS messages. The Kannel docs explain all the different types.
Including the fake sms center for testing.

> is kannel implemented somewhere as a commercial
> gateway?

We use it in a commercial system here, and it runs extremely well.
This really goes without saying when you have good open source software
running on Linux :-)  Thanks 3glabs.

-Chris B