i seem to remember having the same problem when installing from rpm on
redhat 7.2.

it seems that kannel requires these modules

$ rpm -qp kannel-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm --requires
libcrypt.so.1
libcrypto.so.0.9.6

but even though i too have openssl and openssl-devel installed, these
packages to not show up in the rpm query:

$ rpm -qa | grep openssl
openssl-0.9.6b-8
openssl-devel-0.9.6b-8
$ rpm -qa | grep libcrypt
$

i suggest that you download the sources (so far i've found the daily cvs
snapshot no problem although today could be the day its broken).

here's my configure line:

CC=/usr/bin/gcc
./configure --prefix=/home/kannel --with-ssl=/usr/share/ssl --enable-ssl --d
isable-mysql --disable-docs

for some reason i couldnt get kannel to compile with just "./configure".
you probably want to change the prefix to /usr/local.

best of luck,

wilf