With modern unix systems you can use the logrotate facility which rotates log files.
at m-Wise we set it to rotate the logs every day (at 4 AM), compress old logs and keep
14 days of logs. we also configured it to send a HUP signal to the boxes which causes
them to re-open the new log files, otherwise Kannel wouldn't know that the log files
have been rotated and will keep trying to write to non-existant files.

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)