From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Peter Beckman
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 11:23 AM
To: Rodrigo A. Cremaschi
Cc: kannel users list
Subject: Re: [Kannel-Users] Re: Retrieving the SMSC Message ID for a
queuedmessage

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Rodrigo A. Cremaschi wrote:

> I support the idea of retrieving the message_id as a proof the message was
> handled to the SMSC. When we cannot use DLR's, due to an added traffic
cost
> for the SMSC, this is a near perfect solution for an ESME. I suggest
simply
> logging the message_id, no need to be part of the DLR mechanism.

  Well, I don't know how you would be able to store it otherwise, except in
  the log files.  Frankly I'd rather have both (put the message ID in the
  log file as well as pass it back via the DLR).

  Right now I:

     1. Queue the message by putting the info into a table in my DB.
     2. Grab the row in the db and attempt delivery.
     3. If successful, I get a DLR generated by Kannel which passes back a
     DLR value of 8 (queued successfully).
     4. If not successful, I get a DLR of 16 generated by kannel which tells
     me that the message was rejected by my SMSC and why.
     5. When the DLR is called, I update my table row with the important
     information about that message.

  If the kannel-generated DLR report was able to include the remote message
  ID, I could update my table row with that information, creating a
  permanant record of the SMSC message ID to my internal message ID,
  enabling troubleshooting of a single message to be MUCH easier.

  Right now kannel generates its own DLR report upon success or failure of
  the message being sent to the SMSC (since the SMSBOX has accepted it
  already as at least being a valid looking message).

  That is where I would want to see the message_ID passed (if the message
  was accepted/queued).  On DLR reports generated by actual delivery
  receipts from the carriers/aggregators, the message_ID would be blank,
  allowing up to deal with it how you will in your own DLR php script.

  Currently %m is not used -- I propose making the %m the Escape Code.

Beckman

http://xxx.xxx/dlr.php?smsid=xxx&time=%t&to=%P&type=%d&smscr=%A&msgno=%I&res
p=%a