Who told you that you cannot use MySQL 3.x with 1.4 ??

We are using Kannel 1.4.x with MySQL 3.23.58 and everything works
fine. It compiled at the first try. We are using CentOS 3.3 (A RHEL
Clone) with plain vanilla RPMS for MySQL and, as long as you have
mysql and mysql-devel RPMs installed, it finds it and compile "right
out of the box" :)

Regarding functions, MySQL is only used for DLR handling, so usually
that involves plain vanilla "INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE" statements on
a single table, I don't think you'd need any esoteric SQL functions to
do that...

Regards,

--
Alejandro Guerrieri