Cyrus,

That's pretty strange. I don't know of any config files to set that.
Furthermore, it's quite unpractical, since it's the undelying OS the one
setting the ports. Even if you were able to set a port, there's no guarantee
from the OS that the specified port will even be available when kannel tries
to allocate it. Maybe reserving a < 1024 port, but even then you have to be
careful. Even then, Kannel will use one port for each connection
established, so you'll have as many ports as connections.

Anyway, are you absolutely sure about the requirement? Doesn't seem
reasonable IMHO. Kannel is a _client_, so it will first connect to a given
SMPP port on the SMSC and then the underlying OS will set a different local
port for each connection.

Maybe you can hack some solution by using stunnel, iptables or maybe a tcp
proxy capable of mangling packets and ports. I'm not sure if it's possible,
though, the VPN in the middle will add extra complexity also.

IMHO any firewall issues on the SMSC side could and should be worked out at
their side.

Hope it helps.

Alejandro

--