well, the smsbox dies when there is no responce from the bearerbox.

So in case you may register more than one IP per smsc account, you may go for
identical active nodes.
The first registered at the smsc will handle the traffic, the second, third
etc. will try to connect,
but the smsc will be drop their attempts out in case of existing restriction of
one active connection per account.
In each node set different smsc name and log that with the service URL,
so you will know from which node the MO message has come, in a view to easy the
MT routing decision.

and yes, set a watchdog script to check which node has the connection, like
each second.
the kannel http admin interface is perfect for that.

Have to say, we use here the smsc balancing feature, but the above scheme was
considered as alternative.
In addition, we where about to set db replication from the nodes at one or two
external boxes.

NICE idea is first to check the above scenario with the smsc ppl, they hate to
see connection errors in the SMSC logs .. :/

alternative: identical nodes behind loadbalancer. the loadbalancer will host
the IP registered with the smsc account.
One active node, and several started, but in isolated mode.

use the watchdog script to check their statuses, and to decide which isolated
node to activate upon non responding
active node.

the modes are described in the manual ..

:)

cheers