Hi!

First try to test only apache performance without kannel.
At least you'll be sure if it's apache+php problem or something else.

Some ideas (mostly about apache and php tuning):
1. Use eaccelerator to increase performance of PHP scripts.
2. Try to use some lightweight HTTP daemon (lighttpd or nginx).
3. Check if kannel uses keepalives for HTTP based services (I'm not sure
if it's possible).

Also question: are both kannel and apache running on the same server?

--
Michael Bochkaryov