Hello.

I'm by no means a Kannel expert, but I found that I also *had* to add:
  denied-smsc-id = viamodem
to my gateway smsc configuration and:
  denied-smsc-id = viagateway
to my modem smsc configuration

(where "viamodem" and "viagateway" are the two active SMSCs in my conf file) before it started to actually work -- like I could tell Kannel which one I wanted but it didn't really seem to listen until i "forbid" the gateway from handling my modem-bound messages and my modem from handling my gateway-bound messages with these deny statements.

YMMV--