To: <ts...@gmx.de>
Cc: <users@kannel.org>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: Newbie: How to send multiple messages to sms recipients?

Wow, this was really timeconsuming challenge for me...

Had to spend plenty of hours on googling for the exec line to see how other people did it and nothing worked, including write permissions etc. etc....

I even began to dig into the source code to try to see if there was/is a bug somewhere. I think the exec-code gets executed in ./gw/urltrans.c?

I was thinking about recompiling everything with debug flags (-o0 -g, AFAIR) and then set a breakpoint just before running the exec-code (btw: what should I remember if I recompile with full debug flags, if anything?)...

I finally succeeded by finding a piece of a configuration file that I stole from. Here's my new config-part regarding sms-service (and this solved my problem):

group = sms-service
keyword = default
exec = ./sms.sh a=%a t=%t q=%q Q=%Q I=%I d=%d A=%A F=%F n=%n c=%c m=%m M=%M C=%C u=%u B=%B o=%o O=%O f=%f
# if max-messages = 0, then error "No reply sent, denied"
max-messages = 0
#text = "Thank you! I appreciate your sms..."
concatenation = true
catch-all = yes
#white-list = "http://localhost/whitelist";

After I have looked a bit in urltrans.c, I believe my problem was that I DIDN'T comment out the "text"-field and I guess that EITHER you have a text-reply ("Thank you!. ...") OR you have an exec-statement... Am I right?

At least it works now using above config-file... I'm only a bit annoyed by the fact that in my incoming sms text file, all blank spaces are made into plus / "+"'es and I think a plus / "+" is made into "%2B" - this looks stupid in plain text when I "cat" the file....

Well, these are just minor things which I guess I can live with (search and replace plus'es with blank spaces or something)...

Any comments?

And thanks again! Now somebody else perhaps can use my experience, if they get the same problem as me with the malfunctioning exec-statement :-)

Regards,
Martin