If you get such a response, try to make sure kannel fetches the required
content. Don't try to hack the core files as this will be overridden in
future versions of kannel when you upgrade. You can leave the
reply-couldnotfetch string empty if you don't want a response (as suggested
by Rudy) or pass a custom 'reply-couldnotfetch' string if you would like to
get a response when kannel fails to fetch the url content.