The short answer: Yes, you can use any sim card/subscription that allows you
to send sms messages.

From: users [mailto:users-boun...@kannel.org] On Behalf Of Manuri Perera
Sent: zaterdag 29 juni 2013 22:24
To: Alvaro Cornejo
Cc: users@kannel.org
Subject: Re: Using Kannel for the first time - do country and service
provider matter?

Thank you very much Alvaro. I still have no idea how to find out if a dongle
supports GSM AT commands. I'll try to it find out.

Yes the sim card I use is from one of the service providers in my country.
My problem is whether it matters to kannel organization who is my service
provider. I mean for me to use kannel, does kannel organization need to have
any agreement with my service provider ?

Or simply, if I have

1. kannel installed in my laptop

2. a dongle(which supports GSM AT Commands as you said) and

3. a sim card from a service provider in my country

can I set up an SMS gateway and connect it with my application and send SMS
?

  _____