i think in addition to coding=2,
you also need to change the Mysql table charset

ALTER TABLE `send_sms`
CHANGE `msgdata` `msgdata` TEXT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_estonian_ci
NULL ,
ROW_FORMAT=DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_general_ci ;

ALTER TABLE `sent_sms`
CHANGE `msgdata` `msgdata` TEXT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_estonian_ci
NULL ,
ROW_FORMAT=DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_general_ci ;

in above query i have changed only `msgdata` field,

i think batter you also change the following fields as well. these can also
receive the unicoded data if you are getting messges from SMPP (openSMPP)

`sender`
`dlr_url``boxc_id`
`meta_data`

specially the Sender, in case of SMPP