It's a stupid implementation by your operator to implement privacy
middleware. If they are scrambling real number, at least let the recipient
number be in number format, even scrambled. Not only kannel, but almost all
SMS gateways will NOT allow you to send messages to alphanumerics. Ask them
to recommend a gateway to send SMS, and don't let them say 'Write your own'.