On 08/12/15 15:20, Ed Greshko wrote:
<<>>

> Where in my response did I mention Firefox? When in the link did I
> provide is the term Firefox used?
>
> In T-Bird, in preferences, under "General" there is a selection for
> "Default Search Engine" and a drop down list that includes Bing, Yahoo,
> Amazon, AOL, Ebay, Twitter, and Wikipedia.
>
> It is my belief that you want to add "Google" to that list and you
> convinced yourself that in order to do that you go to
> "Advanced-->General--->Config Editor" and manipulate the various entries.
>
> You can't. And you're not meant to be able to.
>
> You can install the extension of T-Bird.

in one of my post to this thread, i made a statement about diff of my
version and jd1008's version.

in my version, 24.8.0, i changed search engines using 'about:config',
just as i have done with firefox. and yes, i very well know the diff
between them. ;-)

in my versions, i was able to make changes by simply using engine name
and did not have to use base url. when jd1008 replied that just name
did not work, i presumed that it may have to have url and suggested to
try such.

when that did not work, i search with my bookmarks to find that there
has been a lot of new pages made and old bookmarks are no longer valid.
i then tried searching for new page. as it was taking time, i posted back
that it would take more time and maybe someone else may know answer,
which you did, and why i replied to your post.

i used to follow the mozilla email list, and there was much to do about
how search engine selection worked with firefox. during that time, the
dev's made changes for firefox and as apparent from your post, changes
where also made to thunderbird because it is now, from your post, made
thru preferences.

therefore, in part only, i accept some of the blame. but not in total.

jd1008 does tend to either not fully read post, or, as i kidded him,
has a comprehension problem. ;-)

all in all, sometimes things work sometimes they do not. usually, when
they do not, it is because someone decided to make changes. sometimes
changes can be good, sometimes they are bad.

the dev's make a good addition to 'preferences' and a bad omission by
not making proper redirects to old url's.

as for having to use an add-on to add a search engine, to me, that is
stepping into more crap.

it would have been easier to just enter full base url to 'about:config'
as they have for other purposes.

--

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.