On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 02:52:01PM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 08/17/2015 02:45 PM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> > When an nvidia card is present, the akmod-nvidia package is present,
> > and a new kernel is installed, it is necessary to ensure that a new
> > nvidia.ko module is created.  One might expect that this would be a
> > natural requirement of the dnf process, which would not terminate
> > until that task had been accomplished.
> >
> > Sadly, it is NOT.  Until this is fixed, what I do to protect myself
> > against a failed reboot is this:
> >
> > 1)  Near the end of the dnf update, run top and watch for abnormally
> > intense cpu activity AFTER dnf concludes, looking especially for
> > instances of cc1, rpmbuild, and any other processes being run by user
> > 'akmods'.  These suggest that the building of nvidia.ko is underway.
> > Do NOT reboot until this is done.
> >
> > 2)  Look for the existence of the new module for the NEW kernel:
> >     find /lib/modules -name nvidia.ko
> > Only if it exists, is it safe to reboot.
> I see the one for my current kernel:
>
> /lib/modules/4.1.4-200.fc22.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko
>

> > 3)  If not, try to build it manually (as root, of course):
> >     akmods
> > or
> >     akmods --force
> I thought the /usr/sbin/akmods --force WAS the manual way.. what is
> another way?
The only other way I know is the automatic way - which occurs after a
dnf update or, I think, during boot if the nvidia.ko module is
missing.

> > 4)  If this fails and an error message says why, the new kernel must
> > NOT be used.  Edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to change the default from 0
> > to 1.  Wait for a solution.
> I have other kernel options, but I don't think any have the nvidia
> module. can I create a file for those?
According to the akmods man page
    --kernels <kernel>  -- build and install only for kernel <kernel>
          (formatted the same as 'uname -r' would produce)
so something like this should work:
    akmods --force --kernels 4.1.3-200.fc22.x86_64

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        d...@datix.us         www.datix.us

"Critics can't even make music by rubbing their back legs together."
        -Mel Brooks