On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 03:37:12PM -0500, dwoody5654 wrote:
> On 08/19/2015 03:01 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 02:37:56PM -0500, dwoody5654 wrote:
> >>I have F21 but it also did the same thing on F20.
> >>I use the java program thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade.
> >>
> >> From the desktop computer, the program works correctly.
> >>
> >>The laptop computer has a problem.
> >>The first screen displays correctly. The second screen that is for
> >>logging in has a lot of vertical graphics with black/white blocks.
> >>The screen is not readable but if you put the mouse at the correct
> >>place I am able to login.
> >>
> >>After the applications is loaded, the rest of the application runs
> >>correctly.
> >>
> >>This has only happened on laptops (2 laptops different brands, both F21).
> >>Both laptops work correctly otherwise.
> >>
> >>When I remote login from my desktop to the laptop and run the
> >>application all screens display correctly on the desktop monitor.
> >>
> >>I thought that I was missing a font on the laptop, but both laptop
> >>and desktop have the same fonts.
> >>
> >>Has anyone seen similar problems.
> >>
> >>Any ideas for what to check next?
> >>
> >Wild guess here: these laptops have Nvidia chipsets and are using
> >the open-source Nouveau video driver...
> >
> >your desktop(s) may or may not have nvidia and therefore may or may
> >not be using Nouveau, but even if both are true, it's almost cfertainly
> >a different Nvidia chipset, one with better support.
> >
> >So, if my wild guess is true, you may wish to try installing the
> >correct nvidia driver on one of the laptops to see if it helps.
> >You can get Nvidia drivers for fedora from the elrepo repository.
> >
> >Good luck!
> >
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> The desktop is AMD CPU and video.
>
> lshw shows that the  laptop has Intel chips and  the video is i915.
> lsmod lists video as i915 and the xorg-x11-drv-intel.i686 package is
> installed as well as the devel package. So, to me that indicates
> that the intel driver is the one being used.
>
> If that conclusion is true, is the setup is as good as it gets and
> there is an application problem or is there another driver that I
> should try? If so how do I insure that this other driver loads in
> place of what is currently being used?

Sorry, I'm fresh out of ideas. I know little about Intel video.
AFAIK, the drivers come with the kernel, which isn't to say it
may not be buggy,...

Or maybe there's something else wrong, but right now I have
no further ideas. Sorry!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
                         God made him who had no sin