On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 05:23 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 04/12/16 01:25, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> >

> > > I just installed simple-mtpfs and gat
> > > the following:
> > >
> > > [root@Box10 bobg]# simple-mtpfs -l
> > > No raw devices found.
> > > [root@Box10 bobg]# simple-mtpfs -l
> > > No raw devices found.
> > >
> > You said it is a Nikon S3100?  I just
> > checked the manual and the camera
> > should support PTP and MTP.  Check the
> > output of:
> > lsusb -v -d 04b0:0320
> > It should have lines with "Picture
> > Transfer Protocol" and "MTP".
> > For example, the following lines are
> > in the info from my phone:
> >       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Still
> > Image Capture
> >       bInterfaceProtocol      1
> > Picture Transfer Protocol (PIMA 15470)
> >       iInterface              5 MTP
> >
> > Try installing the gvfs-mtp package.
> > It would be easiest to reboot after
> > installing that so the system tasks
> > get started properly.  Then try
> > plugging in the camera to the USB port.
> > --
> .
>
> I just did:
>
> [root@Box10 bobg]# dnf install gvfs-mtp
> Shutdown and rebooted the computer.
>
> lsusb shows: Bus 001 Device 004: ID
> 04b0:0320 Nikon Corp.
>
> and no icon comes up on the desktop.
> °cycling the usb connection and turning
> the camera off/on shows no difference.
>
> However "gvfs-mtp" apparently has no man
> page so I don't know what to expect from
> it yet?

The fact that nothing appears on the desktop doesn't mean the device
isn't accessible. According to https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gvfs
(referenced from the dnf info on the gvfs-mtp package):

"There is a set of command line programs starting with "gvfs-" that
lets you run commands (like cat, ls, stat, etc) on files in the GVfs
mounts."

poc